January 15, 2010

Crib, Toddler Bed or Big Boy Bed - that is the question

For all you moms out there who have made the switch from crib to something else, please send in your expert advice . . .

The Facts:
  • Robbie is currently 15 months old
  • He is a HORRIBLE sleeper
  • Robbie does not climb out of his crib yet (thank goodness)
  • Baby #2 is going to be sleeping in the current crib from day one - and I mean it this time!!!
  • Robbie is moving into our guest bedroom for his "big boy room"
  • We need as easy and cheap of a solution as possible

The Options:

  • Put a crib from Kevin's aunt and uncle in his room until he is ready for a toddler or big boy bed
  • We were graciously offered Kevin's bunk beds from when he was growing up
  • Buy a toddler sized bed (I think Robbie would have fun playing in a toddler bed with a theme (car, cartoon, etc) but I am not sure if it would be enough to encourage him to sleep in it plus we really don't want to spend a ton of money on this switch)

Kevin and I are trying to determine what would be the best solution for Robbie and for us. With Robbie's young age and being such a difficult sleeper we were leaning towards the crib and then we can switch to the bunk beds (with side guard rails, of course) when he shows signs of being ready. What do you all think??? What worked for each of you???

2 comments:

Katie said...

When Caleb switched to a toddler bed, he gave up naps, so I worry that would happen to you guys, too. I would get the second crib and use that for a few more months. Also, with the bunk beds, keep in mind that he will want to climb to the top bunk. How will you make it so two-year old Robbie isn't getting out of bed in the middle of the night and climbing to the top bunk?

These decisions are so hard because every child is different. Whatever you end up choosing, Robbie will adapt to. Let us know what you decide!! :)

Brooke said...

Gosh, I dont know!!! We want Carter to sleep in his crib until he is like 5 years old! ha! I love knowing he's contained!! I would wait until he shows signs of growing out of it (climbing out?) then switch..but thats me and I dont have a baby on the way!!!